View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 08:04 AM
OurWorkbench

Default May 2022 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 3

James

James has made some recent acquisitions which he tells us about. He says:

I had quite a busy month regarding sewing machines. My first purchase was a 1920 Singer 24-65 with domed case and knee lever. It was missing the power cord and knee lever but getting a replacement standard Singer 3 prong cord with pedal worked perfectly. I tried the lever that came with my Aluminum Singer 99 but the end did not fit. So I ordered a reproduction flat end knee bar and to my surprise it is small enough to fit in the domed case although not perfectly since the replacement bar has a twist while the original 24 bar was a flat L shaped bar that extended out to a longer length. The replacement bar worked just fine although I suggest either a lower table or a higher chair for more knee contact.

The second item I got was the Third edition of Carter Bays€"The Encyclopedia of Early American and Antique Sewing Machines".

Last just the other day I picked up a National Two Spool treadle machine missing just one drawer and the front slide plate. It is also missing the back panel that keeps one set of drawers from going all the way through. I asked the seller to check for the spool can and it was there. The can does have a crack in the back and part of the can wall but it does not seem to affect the function.

So a good collecting month! I have started refinishing the Willcox and Gibbs hand crank carry case. It does not seem to ever had a protective coat just a possible light stain. I will be shellacking it after sanding the years of grime off. It was interesting to see the original saw/planing marks that showed up while sanding. The material is pine of some type probably Scots Pine since English style hand cranks were in England.

James

james-image1.jpeg

james-image2.jpeg

james-image3.jpeg

james-image4.jpeg

james-image5.jpeg

to be continued...