View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 06:29 AM
OurWorkbench

Default June 2022 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 2

Dianne

Dianne and her husband have been enjoying the coming of summer. She sends the following note:

I have nothing of substance to report this month either! The great outdoors - on our property and farther afield - has kept me busy most of the time. A couple quilt projects have been completed.

Dan just brought me a little cardboard box, filled with plastic and metal bits - a walking foot that quit working some time ago. He said he would take a look at it... and he certainly did! Maybe the problem was a spring, he thought, but he couldn't really tell and so proceeded to totally dismantle it. It makes for an amusing pile of rubble. Once before he did fix one, but it must have had a different problem.

Hope you are well.

Janey

Janey has a followup to a project she was working on recently. She writes:

A couple of months ago, I was working on a controller bag for my Emdeko that showed the different cam stitches. I had decided to make the drawstring area of a different fabric. After I had stitched samples, I realized that I hadn't spaced them so that it would only need a small casing on the ends. I made the different fabric a little larger than I had originally intended so that the sample stitches would be divided equally front and back.

This is a picture of the stitches before I took a couple of rows out, as I had forgotten to unlock the zig zag lever to follow the cam. I didn't get a picture of the corrected stitches. There were two cams that would not fit on the post.

janey-emdeko-all-stitch.jpg

This is the completed bag sitting on the bed of the Emdeko.

janey-emdeko-ctrlr-bag.jpg

Here are the cams.

janey-emdeko-stitch-cams.jpg

John

Lastly, John has a question about feed mechanisms to share with the group and any other readers:

Hi everyone,

I was talking to Janey a while back. I was curious about the different classes or categories of sewing machine feed mechanisms. I don't think we ever reached a definitive conclusion.

For example, the vast majority of machines depend solely on feed dog movement to move the fabric. I know that among these, some feed dogs move in an oval pattern and some have a more box-shaped or rectangular motion as viewed from the side. To me, this distinction would not warrant two separate categories.

But there are other systems, such as vertical feed, needle feed, walking foot. roller foot and others that I'd like to have categorized better in my mind. Could some of these be different names for the same things?

Many here know more about this than I do, so if anyone can help to shed light on the different movement systems, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to feel I have all the various categories straight in my mind. Looking forward to any helpful responses. Thanks.

John

In Closing

We will post here again next month.