View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 09:49 PM
ceeemm

Question questions about two vintage machines.

Hi. hope this isnt a duplicate but it looked like my first attempt didnt go through.
I (perhaps foolishly have just bought (25 dollars each) a windsor improved high arm machine (number under plate is 1678 416) and a "the bartlett" (under plate is L and 1893952) .
love sewing and tinkering and have a couple of vintage machines that work but this will be my first time trying to fix one that is iffy. both are treadle machines, but just the bodies, no cabinet no treadle. when i turn the wheel manually, the machine motion feels smooth, but there is a lot of surface crud on both. both take the older pin bobbins and the windsor is missing its bobbin and case. the windsor is missing it's stitch length adjust knob. I believe the windsor is a montgomery ward branded National machine. the windsor has a top plate tension adjustment, and it seems to be a vibrating shuttle machine? The bobbin winder on teh Windsor is front mounted and swings from front to side of the machine. the one on the Bartlett is fixed on the front.
Looking for general advice/resources on cleaning, fixing, testing, outfitting, mounting and operating these machines. In particular the bobbin winder is a new beast to me and I have no idea about sourcing parts, manuals, etc. Also, since these are not attached to their treadles, what's the best way to get them running to see if I can get a stitch out of them? is a crank an option, a kluged motor?