Old 07-17-2022, 01:06 PM
selm

Default A Warning: Incorrect directions for amount of fabric

I have never come across this problem before. The amounts of fabric the directions had me get for a queen size quilt are far, far more than is need. I have a pattern from a 2010 McCall's Quick Quilts called Frosty Afternoon. The one printed in the magazine was throw size which I made.

They also gave a link to get the same pattern in Queen Size. Well, I finally got around to making the larger one, ordered the fabrics and started cutting.

WOW. They said I needed 1 1/8 yds of six different fabrics. Well, as most websites only let you get fabric by the yard, I had to get 1 1/2 yards of most them. When I cut the first fabric I had so much fabric left over I had to double and triple check the instructions as I was thinking it was my error.

Looking back at the throw size quilt it says to get 2 1/8 -2 1/4 yds total of six different fabrics. Whoever converted the directions for the bigger quilt certainly didn't do the calculations correctly.

I only need 3/4 yd to get the cuts I need from each fabric. I have enough to make two queen size quilts. This is a lot of money wasted. I don't know if I want to make two quilts exactly the same but will have to come up with a way not to waste all this material.

In the future I'll think I'll have to check the directions for the different fabrics so this doesn't happen again.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem?