Old 07-18-2022, 01:17 PM
selm

The queen size is 91.5 x 99.5

The pattern calls for cutting 15, 81/2" squares of each of six fabrics. That's 90. 8" finished squares. You lay them out 9 per row and 10 rows(90 squares). That's 72 x 80 in the middle of the quilt.

You then add a 10" border(20" added width and 20" added length) giving you a total of 92 x 100 sized quilt.

You only need 27" of fabric (my fabrics are 43" wide) to get three strips which give you slightly more than five 8 1/2" blocks. So I basically only needed 3/4 yard of fabric to get the 15 blocks. They said to get 1 1/8 yds per color -- too much - even if you got 1 yard per color you don't need that 1/8 yd. Most of the vendors I used to get the collection of fabrics I wanted only dealt in whole or half yards so I ended up getting 1.5 yards(1/2 yard too much) of each for most of it. I paid for nine yards when I could have gotten 4.5 yards(using 3/4 yd as bare minimum) or 6 yards if I used one yard per fabric.

I haven't figured it exactly but at today's prices that's a lot of money(to me anyway) for fabric I don't need or want. Plus I made the borders and binding the same as one of the six fabrics used in the blocks.

Thanks for the suggestions about using the excess fabric as part of the backing but I've already bought fabric for that also.

It's a very easy, basic layout pattern and I'll enjoy making this as I did the throw years ago. Just wished the fabric was working out better. I'll eventually figure our a way to use the excess.

Sure hope my daughter likes this quilt.

Last edited by selm; 07-18-2022 at 01:25 PM.