View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 10:28 AM
quiltsfor

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Here is a video on the technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPuSRx7BTU

I would caution that the ruler should be firmly attached to the machine so it can’t slip under the needle. I would assume that if the plastic ruler ends up under the needle you will get to replace your needle, your ruler and possibly your sewing machine.
I watched the video you found. I wouldn't use it for just single or double fabric. You would always be getting it sliding under the ruler as the ruler doesn't fit completely flat because of the plate and machine bed, as he did at first. He had to do it awful slow as well to control the fabric, basically one stitch at a time. Though someone who sew regularly would most certainly go faster, it would still be a fight to keep it from sliding under the ruler.

That's why I only use a tape line when sewing thinner fabric pieces. I use the marked tape that has measurements on the lines.

For thicker sandwiches the ruler idea works great. The sandwich is as tall as the ruler, so it can't slide under it.

I'm used to having acrylic templates next to my needle as I do machine quilting. In this case, the ruler is firmly taped down. But I have when desired, do machine quilting using a straight template ruler to quilt grid lines with it being hand held next to the needle foot.

That's what gave me the idea to do this. Only in this case, I taped it down as I didn't need to lay it on top of any fabric. Figures that there would be a youtube somewhere...LOL.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 09-12-2022 at 10:34 AM.