View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 02:10 PM
SkylaneGuy

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
If you remove the pulley and the 2 external nuts at that end, you should be able to slide off the pulley end motor cover, and it should look something like the picture. You can do this without disturbing the brushes. Removing the 2 internal nuts on each side of the brush plate will allow complete disassembly. If you remove either cover do so carefully as there will be washers/spacers/shims on each end of the shaft, on the inside, up against the bushings. It's important to pay attention to the order of these washers.
The attached photo was helpful.

I took the motor apart. The commutator had no wear. I did turn it in my drill press and clean the carbon off. I bought brushes at the hardware store, but they were the same length as the original brushes which I re-installed. It is inconvenient to install these brushes and reassemble the motor. The later style motor shown in the video would be an improvement The motor runs a little quieter now, but not what I want. I'll probably buy an L frame motor from Amazon. Maybe an electronic controller. Suggestions for the controller would be appreciated.