View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Marge Q

I have made flannel rag quilts for baby shower gifts. The quilt will be approximately 40x36 inches. I recommend washing the flannel before you begin but it's not necessary. You will need one yard of two fabrics and one and one-half yard of a third fabric; cut this piece into a one yard piece; the other half of yard will be used for the binding. Place the backing fabric right side down (use a cute pattern for the backing fabric). Next, layer the middle fabric and top fabric right side up (although the middle fabric can be up or down). Smoothe and straighten the fabric as best you can and pin. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. You will be sewing on that line (using a short stitch length) and 1/2 inch out on each side until you reach the end. I usually sew a few rows on one side, then switch sides and straigten out the fabric as best I can. After the 3 layers of fabric have been sewn together with many diagnonal lines, square up the quilt as best you can. Next, cut the top two layers of the fabric between the stitched rows (if you are using a cute fabric on the back or top - take this into consideration when cutting so that you do not cut that fabric.) There is a chenile rotary cutter which can be used for this (and that is why a short stitch lenghth is important) or you can use sewing shears. After all of the cutting has been done, sew on the binding using your favorite method. You can sew a basting stitch around the edges before binding it. The last step is to wash the quilt which will help to "rag" it. There will be a lot of lint when you wash it.