View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 05:56 AM
EmiliasNana

Default Reverse applique by machine

Here is the Poinsettia Christmas tree skirt which has been languishing in the closet half done for the past 12-13 years.
I finished it yesterday! It was done in reverse applique, starting with a solid black wedge and a template that was cut out of freezer paper. From the back you cut out one shape leaving an 1/8" seam allowance that is then glued over the edge of the paper. The colored fabric is then added, right side down, the wedge is flipped to the right side and using a tiny "8 sewing machine needle and embroidery thread, you do a small zig zag over the edge of the black fabric. It was tedious work. They suggested using Quilter's Glue, but I used Beacon's 3 in 1 as the previous glue was no longer available. I dislike a slit in the back that ends up being overlapped, so I put in an 18" 5mm plastic jacket zipper instead. That way the design remains true. The entire skirt was pictured on our 42" ottoman so is just a tad bigger.
resized-tree-skirt2.jpg
resized-segment-finished-tree-skirt.jpg
resized-finished-christmas-tree-skirt.jpg
I just got my Grassy Creek quilt back from the quilters so my next project is to bind it. After 100+ quilts, this is the first one for our bed!

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 02-23-2023 at 06:00 AM.