Old 06-27-2023, 11:10 AM
Peckish

I wonder how much of the OP's personal feelings were inserted into her post. It kind of came across as if the husband was uncaring and just wanted all her stuff gone. I wonder if it was actually more along the lines of having all that stuff around was a constant reminder of his incredibly painful loss, and he simply didn't have the bandwidth to deal with it. In general, men are much more lost after losing a spouse than women are, and they also have a tendency to shut down emotionally in order to "be strong".

I watched a similar situation unfold in my own family. My in-laws live in another state. My MIL called me and told me that my FIL was in the hospital with the flu. She said it like it was a weather report, not that big of a deal, he'd be better and home in a day or two. Well, the truth came the next day from my SIL, who called and told my husband to come say goodbye NOW, because FIL was actually in kidney failure. This told me that my MIL was in denial. So my husband went to see his dad, while I stayed home with my small children, which meant my observations of the event were less emotional, and more of a wide-angle-lens type of view.
Immediately (that very day) after my FIL passed, my MIL went home and started packing all his clothes and personal items up for donation. My husband was VERY upset, offended and hurt by this. He internalized it. He thought his mom was just trying to get rid of every piece of evidence that proved his dad had ever existed. I told him she was probably didn't even know what she was doing, because she had been in such deep denial, and was horribly grief-stricken. I asked for some items of clothing that had belonged to his dad so that I could make a quilt for him, before she gave it all to charity. What she sent was very telling: 2 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of underwear, 2 wife-beaters, 2 pairs of socks, a jacket, his suspenders, and a pair of shoes. It was like she thought he was going on a short trip and would be back in a couple of days. It was incredibly sad.
We talked about it with about 9 months later, and she was horrified. She had absolutely NO memory of any her actions that week, and felt terribly about the pain my husband experienced as a result.

I agree with the sentiment that Peaceandjoy expressed.

We all would like to think that the stuff we treasure most will, in turn, be treasured by the loved ones we leave behind, as if it's a measure of how much we were loved. But in many cases, that is simply not possible. Personally, I have found that for the ones I have loved and lost, it's the photographs, stories, and memories of everyday interactions and events that are the most valuable measurement of who they were and how much they were loved.