Old 07-08-2023, 06:05 PM
1CharmShort

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
this is fun, like being in a room together. Here's a question, have any of you made any little design boards? Lori Holt has a line, and she likes her $$$ signs I just watched a tute, but wondering if my time is worth more than Lori's?
#1. Anyway, my query, what did you use for a board, I just got my new martelli mat so have a big chunk of cardboard, but would the corners bend up? I like my stuff to stay nice.
#2 I've seen hot glue used, I've made an absolute mess using a glue gun in the past. Has anyone used some kind of bonding like Steam a Seam or SaS2 or Ultrabond of some specific kind?
#3 Do you really need all that doubled seam binding, couldn't it be done with less for less bulk?
#4, my blocks are seldom bigger than 8", more often 3"-6". I'm thinking a 10-12" board should be big enough for traveling?

Fuzzy water time, I like Costco's Spindrift...
I think most people use foam core board or thick corrugated cardboard in those youtube vids.
But you can use almost anything you can dream up.
Insulation board from the hardware store works great, comes in lots of different sizes, and weighs almost nothing.
In a pinch, I used a 10"x14" clip board...just wrapped it a few times with batting and used a big safety pin on the back. It worked great, but using pins to hold down pieces was not as fast as just stabbing them in.

I've also used a box lid...it was a lid from an office supply box-used to hold reams of paper. I just lined the inside with batting and I could carry pieces easily from the ironing board to the sewing machine. I guess you could stack several and carry a whole row to the iron if you wanted to.

Also- you could use a glue stick or even painter's tape or duck tape on the back to secure the batting Or basting spray or even staples on thick cardboard or foam core or insulation board.
None of my impromptu designs were very cute though

edit: you might have to be kinda nice to your corners....

oh...I should also mention that I used insulation board and some left over upholstery tacks once, and the tacks kept falling out. Not great if you walk around in just socks....
so maybe glue is better than tacks?

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 07-08-2023 at 06:10 PM.