Old 08-28-2023, 05:09 AM
Iceblossom

For years I was consumed with using/saving every bit of scrap and not only using them but finding the perfect use for them. I tried many different approaches for saving or using the scraps. Cutting them neatly into standard sized strips worked pretty well, much better than dumping everything small into a hamper. But it always seemed that when I needed (for example) 2.5" strips I had plenty of 2" strips or 4" strips but not the size I wanted. When I realized that I could spend the rest of my quilting life using nothing but 2.5" strips (and some people like this idea!), I decided that scared me and I wasn't willing to do that anymore.

I decided that I would only save 6.5" strips because I could always cut down, but I couldn't cut up and it is a very handy/usable size. Above 6.5" I considered yardage. I would keep a priority postage box in my cutting area and fill it up with the smaller pieces left from my projects. LOL, some people from this thread and other people from the boards know how much fabric I can stuff into one of those boxes. Depending on how much sewing I was doing or what I was using up, I might only fill one box a year or maybe multiple boxes. I felt better about paying for the postage than throwing the fabric away.

The regulars on the Fabric Moratorium thread often have some wonderful ideas on what to do when someone hands you a bag of fabric...
Fabric Moratorium 2023

And the yearly Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt (starts Friday after Thanksgiving which is not so convenient time of year for many people) is a great way to use up little strips. As one of my quilting group would tell me -- but you don't like projects with thousands of tiny bits, I would tell her back -- true,but I like using them up!

Edit: My 6.5"strips must be larger than a 6.5" square...below that and in they go into the small bits to give away.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-28-2023 at 05:16 AM.