Old 11-17-2023, 09:27 AM
Chasing Hawk

My stuffing recipe, I make two kinds Sausage stuffing and giblet stuffing.
It is so simple........
Two 9x13 pans of cornbread
One bag of bread stuffing (Pepperidge Farm)
One roll of Sage Sausage (Jimmy Dean)
Liver and gizzards from Turkey (I simmer the gizzards and liver together with the neck. Stock is later used as a base for gravy)
One medium white onion
4 stacks of celery chopped into small pieces
2 packs of white cap mushrooms (whole and sliced them yourself)
1 to 2 cartons of Chicken Broth (Swanson's Low Sodium)
3 to 4 eggs beaten like your making scrambled eggs, beat until you can see no whites among the yellow yolks)
Fresh sage, chopped rough (not to small or you won't be able to taste)
Pepper to taste
No salt (sausage, stuffing mix and broth contain enough salt)

I bake the cornbread the day before and allow it to dry out a bit. Gizzards and Liver, Neck in the crock pot on low overnight. I do this because I use a Whisky/Maple brine and let Mr. Tom Turkey lounge in it for 12 hours.
On Thanksgiving day I chop, slice and dice all the onion, celery and mushrooms I need fro the stuffing and side dishes I need to our meal. And cook the sausage, drain on plate lined with a few paper towels
In a large bowl of roaster pan mix all the stuffing ingredients EXCEPT for gizzards/livers and cooked sausage.
Divide stuffing mixture, I do 2/3 for sausage stuffing and 1/3 for the other stuffing (Husband is the only one who eats this one)
Spoon stuffing into those aluminum pans, I inset a toothpick into the gizzard/liver stuffing to tell them apart. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or internal temp is 165 degrees,
I cook my Turkey unstuffed.