View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 04:54 AM
peaceandjoy

Since Covid, the meal portion of our holiday gathering is no longer done. The program committee prepares a treat of some sort that can be individually packaged for serving. While that doesn't guarantee no contamination, I guess it at least cuts down the chances. I miss the meal.

The gift exchange is optional for those who wish to play along. I do not. Many of the items here would be welcome - a small bottle of Best Press, a seam ripper, etc. But ours is to be a homemade item! Who has time for that this time of year? And although it is always stressed that it could be a jar of jam or a loaf of banana bread, each year the gifts are elaborate table toppers or tote bags. No. Just... No. (Although I did once give a bottle of homemade vanilla extract, which I make for myself anyhow - but next to the other gifts, it seemed tiny.)

We also bring gifts for a local charity - in the past, it's been a women's shelter, senior citizen complex, Toys for Tots, etc. Those are collected in October and November.