View Single Post
Old 11-19-2023, 07:50 AM
Iceblossom

Years ago I made my first Grandmother's Fan the traditional way with set-in arcs. It was ok and within my skill set but using the Eleanor Burns method took hours and a bunch of stress off of me. In terms of technique for the traditional one I set in the arcs into an L piece, putting the pie into the fan blades first.

The Eleanor Burns method is more the "partial" applique and I cut squares for the background. But then I went back and trimmed out the double layer of fabric once the fan pieces were put in. You don't have to do that but it is an option. It was really not hard at all, maybe not something I would suggest for a beginner but with medium skills and templates it is certainly doable.

Here's a link for the template:
https://www.flynnquilt.com/shop/Acry...-x18848031.htm
I was very happy with the templates, especially cutting so many different fan blades. The Turkey project were charms -- that is each one was different. The Michigan one had multiples. The template kit is designed for set-in arcs and contains the L, the Fan Blade and the pie piece.

And here's pictures of the rickrack in progress. I found buying rounds at Hobby Lobby to be the best deal -- especially on sale!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6103-1-.jpg   100_6123.jpg   100_6126.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-19-2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added info about templates