Old 11-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Endora

I was just giving thought to the old-fashioned plastic diaper pail.

I kept a pail in the baby room for wet-wets, and another pail in the bathroom for dirties, and I still remember how the strong ammonia odour of the wet pail would burn at my nose and eyes when I'd lift the lid to put a diaper in at changing time!

Washing diapers was never easier with my old-fashioned top-loading washing machine. On diaper-wash day, I'd lug the big white plastic diaper pails down to the basement and dump them into the washing machine, spin-cycle was selected, diapers were spun for a minute, then detergent was added, a splash of bleach for good measure, lid was closed, hot water cycle selected, and the washing machine did all the work for me.

With my first baby I folded both daytime single-fold diapers, as well as nighttime double-fold diapers, however, I always found myself reaching for the nighttime double folds at change-time, because they were so much more absorbent and reliable than a single-fold, and so the days of relying on single-fold diapers quickly went by wayside.

Always bought rubber pants one to two sizes larger than needed to accomodate the bulky double diapers. Larger fitting rubber pants were easier to pull off and on at change-time, and I always felt my kids were more comfy in roomier fitting rubber pants... less binding and chafing and elastic irritation, and easier movement and freedom when they were crawling, bending, and kicking.

Also remember how I'd dash a little baby powder into the rubber pants at change-time. Helped the rubber pants slip over baby's sweaty little piggies and up their legs quicker and easier!

Do remember how the rubber pants were always harder to pull off when diapers were good and wet! The plastic used to stick to baby's legs like glue!

If only I had a dollar for every cloth diaper and pair of rubber pants I changed in my day, I'd be rich!