View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 08:25 AM
Iceblossom

I love that ottoman! I am concerned about how many ties it would take and if there would be enough for that project.

Obviously it depends on the project, and I think being just one person's ties where you might want the lingering smell of cologne it might be different, but I can't stress enough how absolutely filthy my hands would get working with the ones I bought... After having worked with them, I wouldn't want my bare skin to touch an unwashed version. But again, these were from strangers and were decades old.

Other things to consider -- Depending on what they were lined with, several of the linings had disintegrated into dust. There is a LOT of variety between lengths, width, thickness and angles and how many ties it might take to make a circle. When we are used to working with cotton, yes ties are mostly slippery and mostly cut on the bias.

My plan with my friend's grandfather's silk ties was to make a rail fence variation, foundation piecing them onto woolen suiting, basically assembling the blocks in a quilt as you go variation. I had enough for a center, really too small for a throw and would have needed more ties or silk for anything other than a pillow. Turned out she didn't really want anything back, she had other items and memories, and with a young child she didn't want the care and maintenance of something that needed dry cleaning or being stored for years.

I gave the remnants and remaining ties to a lady I met at our farmer's market who made things from ties. Sadly, I can't quite remember the name and don't think I brought her card with me on the move. She made various things from purses and lanyards or zipper pulls to teddy bears and such.