View Single Post
Old 12-14-2023, 02:18 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Thanks Everyone, for your ideas and input.

Since I started the thread, I have done some googling and searching and along with your posts, have broadened my idea base to some projects that are intriguing and that I'd maybe consider. A lot more possibilities than I would ever even thought about, for sure!

In my stash, I have a bunch of ties that I've collected from different sources, that would let me do some trial runs. While I am getting kind of keen on it, the negatives have me very, very hesitant, so I want to know I feel good about it all before I even whisper the possibility. I know there are a lot of questions and missing info I need answered, but do not want to speak with this person until I am right and ready. I just don't want to get her hopes up, unless I am really ready to say yes.

Some questions and thoughts back to your posts ...

Washing? Drying? ...Would you toss them in the washer, warm wash? Put them in a pillow case, stitched up? to keep them from tangling or if they fall apart, would avoid a mess? Dry them in the dryer? or hang to dry? My allergies/sensitivities already are telling me that washing would be mandatory. Especially with IceBlossom'scomments.

Post-Gutting? ... Once down to the fabric, would it be advisable to stabilize the fabric onto a light fusible? Foundation piecing sounds like a good option, but might not work for all the projects. Have noted WMUTeach's comments above, but in a lot of the patterns, I can't see being able to work with the whole tie, as is.

Pressing? Best Press? ... Will most tie fabrics handle pressing OK? Likewise re Best Press? Of course, may have to keep temperatures lower, if silk and poly. I'm thinking here that Best Press may handle the slippery and bias issues?

How To's - Online/Book ... Amazon has the book recommended by Dunster. Of course, the Canadian price is inflated. Have found a plethora of other how-to's online, but if anyone has any that they specifically recommend, please share.

More? ... Please feel free to share even more ideas and in particular, more of the good, bad and ugly of working with old ties!

THANK YOU, One and All !!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-14-2023 at 02:21 PM.