View Single Post
Old 12-21-2023, 10:18 AM
Synnove

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
You have a treasure!!!!!!!!
Are you sure you can't wash it? I have several antique quilts that I've washed and they didn't get damaged at all. I soaked them and then spread them out to dry.
But to answer your question I would use chalk.
Please show us when you are finished!
I do indeed have a treasure! My great-grandmother died in 1942, so this quilt top is over 80 years old. I'm afraid to wash it, as some of the stitching looks fragile. Also, some of the fabrics are red, and I would be horrified if they bled when washed. Based on y'all's advice I've just ordered some General's white charcoal pencils, hoping that perhaps they will show even the slightest line, as the background fabric is an off-white muslin. In case the charcoal pencil doesn't do the trick, I have also ordered a fine line air erasable marker. I read that one ingredient of the air erasable marker is an acid, and I'm a little concerned about the long-term effect of this on antique fabric. At any rate, I'm considering all the possibilities for marking. I appreciate everyone's help and advice. Thank you so much! Oh -- an interesting side note: I ordered a 30's repro fabric for the backing. When it came, I discovered that it matched one of the original 30's fabrics in the top, almost exactly! How's THAT for a happy accident!