Old 12-27-2023, 01:43 PM
platyhiker

Wow, your class covered a LOT more material than mine! One factor in my class (that I forgot about until just now), is that it was held in only 1 day out of 3, not five days a week. We did NOT cover cleaning, oiling, tension setting, thread weight, set in sleeves, interfacing, hem tape, darts, sewing elastic, pintuck, or inserting lace. The first semester we made wrap skirts. The second semester we made draw string skirts and a vest with pre-quilted fabric. The vest did need the edges to be bound with bias tape. We did cover how to use the button hole functions on the machine, but I remember the teacher in at least one of the classes making the button holes for us on our actual skirts, because undoing that tight stitching was a pain if you messed up. (We did make at least several button holes on scrap fabric.)

I learned a lot more sewing skills when joined the drama club in high school and worked on the costume crew. My mother was a very skilled sewer, so she advised me on my costume work. I learned about darts, setting in sleeves, sewing with fake-fur fabric, LOTS about resizing patterns (including taking a child sized pattern up to adult size) and even adding a gusset to something that had not not been resized completely correctly. I found the Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing book a great reference book.