Old 01-14-2024, 04:23 PM
Gemm

I've been a paying member of various clubs and groups over the years and not been able to participate much and I've understood that you tend to get out what you put in and the less you are involved the lower you should set your expectations. That being said, I have a couple of thoughts.
It can be very overwhelming to join a group, church, club, guild and be presented with a list of expectations and the accompanying pressure to participate. (Example: visiting a church in my new neighbourhood and being asked before the end of coffee time after the very first service I attended to take on a not inconsiderable role in three areas of the organization (Sunday School, Youth Group and Choir!)). Another club's meeting was a parade of committee chairs all asking for "minimum participation" by each member of the club and then listing what meeting those expectations would look like. I have chosen to go elsewhere in some instances because of this. However, sometimes a dialogue has opened and I have found myself able to get involved at a level that works for me at the time and occasionally this has grown to my being able to take on a larger role later when circumstances were more favourable. My willingness to put the extra effort in later came because I didn't feel cornered at the beginning.
I think Peckish had the right idea - maybe engage with these members and explain the guild's expectations and needs and invite them to seek opportunities to get involved that work within their limitations/interests? :-)