View Single Post
Old 01-23-2024, 08:08 AM
WesternWilson

I sold my first, very expensive, sewing machine because the feed dogs would always grab the fabric at the end of the seam and cause wobbles. I noticed in classes that Bernina machines and Juki machines did not do that, and switched my machine!!

Past that a consistent 1/4" seam is a product of practice. If you want to do accurate piecing and have your intersections and points come out perfectly, you must master accurate seam width.

Note that you must also be cutting accurately. If your pieces are not cut accurately, you are not going to be able to save the block with 1/4" seams!

That said, fabric is forgiving, and you can pin it into submission if you are close to the 1/4" seam. Use Clover Extra Fine pins to make intersections meet.

I hate the term "scant 1/4"...because what is THAT??!! Use the edge of your 1/4" foot but be sure your needle is indeed positioned 1/4" from the side of the foot.

If you practice a simple Ohio Star quilt block, photo below, and master getting those seams consistent and matching, you will have mastered 99% of quilting blocks!

https://sewcanshe.com/how-to-make-an...step-tutorial/
Attached Thumbnails ohio-star.jpg