View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 08:30 AM
sharonlenore

Default Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Using a single hole faceplate will help with your problem. If you use a single hole plate, make sure your beginning stitch is a center stitch. The wider zig zag plate allows more play in both the thread and the stitch. The wider feed dogs on the Brothers make a difference too. Often, my fabric isn't even caught on the right feed dog. I really have to guide my fabric, pushing it slightly to the right to keep it alignment. I found out that what I was doing was taking my eyes off that last half inch going under the needle and it would trail off every time.

If I use a chain stitching method and stitch a couple of stitches between each block, I focus better and my 1/4 inch seams are more consistent and straight. Chain stitching keeps a steady flow of fabric out the back of the machine and let's you focus on the front part where your fabric is being stitched. I do hold the thread out the back when I first start sewing if I don't have an ender, but you should never have to pull fabric out the back unless you are going over really big seams and your machine just won't sew over the seam.

I find starting on a doubled piece of material and then chain stitching onto my good block helps my accuracy. Quiltville's Bonnie Hunter makes a lot of scrappy quilts with her leaders and enders. You can use any size square to be a leader or ender. Most people precut 2.5 or 3.5 inch squares to use, but you can use any size you want. The theory is that you never leave the machine without a square with the needle in it. And as you sew, you will accumulate enough 2 fabric bocks to make another quilt. This does help immensely with accuracy.

This foot is my favorite 1/4 inch foot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUHBN0cj1o
I was having the same issue of the fabric under the back of the presser foot veering off to the left; no problem with keeping the fabric at the front of the foot lined up with my 1/4" seam guide. I have 9mm feed dogs also. I changed to my single hole plate after reading your suggestion to use it rather than the zig zag plate. Made all the difference. No more fabric veering to the left on long seams. Thank you!