View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 03:15 AM
WMUTeach

Wooops, I got caught using quilt lingo. Yes, google chain piecing, Pamelor. There are many to choose from. I learned from the old Jenny Doan tutorials when she was first online. Chaining or chain piecing simply means sewing pieces together without cutting the thread between the pieces. Often this technique is used when doing a number of repeated pieces that are the same.

For instance if you are joining 10 - 2.5's to 10 other 2.5s, you just run them under the needle without cutting the thread between them. So in the case of making those wee bitty 9-patches for the Checker Board Chain quilt, using the strips I have created, I would join columns one and two, making 10 sets of 6 little squares. (2x3) Without cutting the threads between the 2X3s I go back and add column 3. I end up with 10 finished 9-patches. (3x3). Cut the threads, press, square up and ta-da, ten little 9-patches.

Pictures really help but there are so many good tutorials online, view a couple and away you go. I would not be surprised if you do this already and I just tossed in a term that was new to you. BTW chaining works beautifully with all shapes and sizes of pieces. It is usually a good time saver and thread saver.

Hope this explanation and help from Mr. Google you will find making the little 9-patches easier.