View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
I know what the words mean, but in theory how do I do it? I use a 1/4 inch foot with a rail. If I don't have the fabric bumped up against the rail, that makes sense, but then how do I keep the scant 1/4 inch consistently scant?
I use moleskin purchased in the foot section of the drugstore (extra thick, if they have it). This has adhesive on one side and is about 1/8" thick. I cut it into strips with my ruler and rotary cutter and use a strip as my fabric guide for a scant 1/4".

I like the fabric to completely cover the feed dogs; on my machine I have to move the needle one position to the right for this.

I place a ruler under the needle to measure. Once the side of the ruler is a scant 1/4" from the needle, I put the presser foot down to hold the ruler in place. I also check to make sure the ruler is straight, not crooked. Then I adhere a strip of moleskin to the bed of my machine, using the ruler edge as my guide.

This is how I keep my seams a scant 1/4" and even. I just butt the fabric up to the edge of the moleskin, which creates a little barrier for the fabric.