Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaintsRule
I wondered about that, I saw some it was fusible webbing but was not sure how it could be put on and not stick to both sides at once, it must be the paper back then that stops it from sticking on both sides.... I will have to try that
Any fabric can be fused to a fusible so that you can position it before ironing. You use a teflon-like pressing sheet to do this. These are sold specifically for applique, although some people have said that the teflon oven liners work just too. The applique pressing sheets are translucent.

Anyway, here is the method. You place the fabric wrong side up on your ironing board, place the fusible on top (sans paper on either side), place the pressing sheet on top of that, then iron. The fabric now has fusible on its wrong side. You cut out your applique shape, position it as desired on the background, then iron to complete the fusing of the applique piece to the background.

Hope I am explaining this so it is understandable. The fusible will fuse to fabric, but not to the teflon-like applique pressing sheet. You just peel the now-fusible-fabric off the pressing sheet. The applique is not permanently fused to the background until you iron it again onto the background fabric.

Most fusibles will make your applique fairly stiff. Misty Fuse is supposed to be the best one to use in terms of keeping the drape of the fabric.

You machine embroider the edges of your applique, right? If so, I would try Misty Fuse first because it will not change the applque fabric significantly.

Steam-a-Seam is a fusible that you can use without the applique pressing sheet. This is one that you leave the paper on one side when fusing the other to the fabric. When you remove the paper, the fused fabric is like a post-it note allowing you to re-position as desired until you are ready to permanently fuse into place with an iron. However, even the Lite Steam-a-Seam will stiffen the applique somewhat -- perhaps more than you like.

Note: Fusible interfacings are different from the fusibles I am talking about. Fusible interfacings have adhesive on only one side. Fusibles such as Misty Fuse, Steam-a-Seam, Heat n Bond, etc. have adhesives on both sides.