View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
fabric-holic

Originally Posted by ktbb
I'm not a wallflower, but I'm still learning about teaching in my current class of three high school girls. Here are some things I've been "reminded of" lately:

- start with a project where matching seams are not a big deal so you don't have to worry about that ( a Buggy Barn pattern is great for this, or any of the "free-style" cutting patterns, or even a disappearing 9-patch (if the seams in the original nine patch don't match it won't matter as much since you'll be cutting it up to restitch it!) Even "wonky" 9 patches or 4 patches!
- make the issue "straight seams" rather than "quarter inch seams" for the first one. They can use this one to 'practice' quarter inch seams if you want. Free style cutting is great for that since you know you'll have extra to cut off before you assemble the blocks have to size up each block after the initial assembly and that assumes that you'll be taking off a half inch or so of fabric on all sides
- make it scrappy so that you don't have to worry about color and pattern selection (you can still retain some sense of color by requiring them each pick a color and then every fabric they use has to have that color in it even if it's "different versions" of that color)
- use individual talents to help the group, some people can't or don't want to use machines, but can do a great job of ironing, etc.. You could pair people up so that they can help each other with tasks that they individually don't like to do one puts pieces together ready for stitching and presses them when seams are done, etc.

Once they have each made or helped with their first quilt, then you can go on to something that requires more attention to details, and by then you'll have build your confidence up a little

You'll do great in this!
Lots of good advice in your post.
I've said Thank you several times in this thread and there are posts that I've enjoyed and learned from that I haven't said it.
So to everyone who's been kind enough to share their thoughts and ideas, this is a sincere group Thank you from me! ((((HUGS))))) to all of you.
(we need an icon that is a kiss or something, eh?)