View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
KatFish

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by KatFish
As a new quilter, I have only managed to produce a large shoe box of scraps, after making 19 quilts. I'm SOOOO disapointed in myself. So far my way of dealing with any left over fabric is to make a matching pillow case or pillow to match my quilt. Any strips i have are joined to my growing chinese coin quilt and any blocks are added to my growing Grandmas flower garden quilt. How do I make sure I produce more scrap fabric in the future?
It really sounds like you are already using your scraps! If you just put them in a box instead of CCQ and GFG, you would probably have some more scraps. But personally, I like the way you are doing it, and think I will do the same. Only I won't be making a GFG. Been there......
And at 19 quilts, I wouldn't consider you to be a new quilter. I'll bet you know your way around more than one block! Have you posted any of your quilts? I'd like to see them.
At any rate, I wouldn't worry about not making enough scraps. It's a headache to figure out what to do with them and I don't want to just toss them. So I usually cut them into the largest square they will make, and then the 2nd largest, and 3rd largest, and so on. Then stack them with the other squares of the same size. I have also rectangles and triangles, and strips that are wof. I have made a couple of quilts from this and really enjoy the challenge of putting it all together!.It's supposed to be fun, so don't fret if you don't have scraps!
I think that will be my new motto! LOL
YTQ
Thanks for the tip on cuting scrap fabric. I needed some new ways to figure out what to do with the scraps. I'm working on my third GFGQ, as it works well to get rid of even the small pieces of fabric, but I have to say I would like some new ideas. I have not got any pictures to show as I don't have a digital camera as of yet.