Thread: BSR foot
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 04:59 AM
nursie76

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
For mine, yes, I can run it without the foot pedal (cool trick, but difficult to stop exactly where I want it). However, the 440 (I don't have) is the one where the hand's free stitching gets faster or slower depending on how fast you move the fabric. Mine's the 430, which when you turn on the hand's free, it goes at the same speed regardless of how fast or slow I move the fabric. There's a button where I can make it go faster or slower, but it works independently of me moving anything.

When I attach the foot and plug in the cord, "BSR" shows up on my machine display. I think they said that's all I need to engage it, but I'm not sure... It's a solid "BSR" not flashing or anything. Do I need to press something to make it engage??
I would call your dealer and check. I have the 440 and the BSR has 2 modes. I believe it is BSR1 you use the foot pedal, but no matter how far you push it down, the machines speed is determined by the speed at which you move the material. Using the pedal does give you a bit more control on the stop point and if working on a large quilt and it slides off the table, it does keep stitching as it is sliding :oops:

BSR2 mode you unplug the pedal and it goes and stops with the movement of the material. I have never been told or read where you are to adjust the stitch length, so that is a new one to me. The BSR doesn't make you stitches absolutely perfect, but definitely much nicer than a newbie might do free hand, and it gave me the confidence to try FMQ. I tried some of the large longarms at the quilt show with stitch regulators and found that they work much like the BSR, don't guarantee perfect stitches, but a sight better than I might do as a newbie to FMQ with out.