View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Troutbabe

It's all my daughter-in-law's fault.
Been sewing for eons-hand, then on a treadle, then on a Featherweight(didn't know how wonderful it was until later). Kinda quit sewing as my kids grew. Then comes Millie (DIL) who wants to learn to sew. So I help her make mother-daughter dresses.
Then about 7 yrs ago she says she wants to learn to quilt, so I bought her a basic quilting class and the fabrics. And, since she isn't that strong a seamstress, I decide to take the class as well.... but I KNOW I won't like quilting 'cause it's too picky and detailed.
WELL, once the teacher said it really wasn't necessary to correct a mistake unless you could see it while galloping by on a horse going 30 mph, I thought, OK. Then my DIL, who was over-doing some of her 1/4" seams, had a gap at the end of one of her rows of blocks (a friendship star pointing at the error, no less). So the teacher said 'do you have more of the background?' and they sewed the strip in and then put on the border. Someone else in the class looked up and said 'what was the problem' so we held up the 4'x4' sampler.... and no one could see the problem! Now does that inspire or what??!
Since I have done several queen quilts, jackets, and 'stained glass' hangings. Looking forward to pushing into more art quilt work. Love the color, the sewing, the TACTILE nature of the work. I also paint and hope to join the two someday
And I have my grandmother's featherweight (along with 4 other machines.) Life tracks on forever.
Troutbabe