Thread: "Weigh In"
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
BrendaB

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by jnagy1206
Hi! I am relatively new to the Quilting Board although I have been a follower for much longer. The weight loss challenge was just the spark I needed to get back on track. When my 2 sons grew up and moved out, I didn't like preparing meals for just my husband & me. I work 75-80 hours/week (self employed) & gained 35 pounds over the past 2 years due to bad food choices & skipping meals. My methodology is not for everyone, but it works best for me because of some health issues. Basically, it is portion control (I weigh & measure EVERYTHING) and .... here's the hard part.... NO carbs, No fats, No sugar, & No dairy. I know it sounds harsh, but I feel great & can honestly say I am never hungry. It is a variation of the Adkins diet w/ the main difference being portion control. Also, I do not eat red meat - only chicken or fish AND lots of veggies. It also helps that I like my foods plain w/ no sauces, dressings, etc. I even eat my salads with white balsamic vinegar instead of dressing. I am fortunate to llive in sunny Arizona so I exercise by walking 4 miles each day in the evening with my son's dog (I am now the legal guardian since July LOL) and at least 3 times per week I walk 2 miles during lunch. I have an activity monitor clipped on my shoe which measures steps.(I love high tech gadgets). AND...LOTS OF WATER @ least 64 oz. I limit myself to only 2 diet pepsi's a day. Decaf tea works great as the "water". AND best of all....when I have a "snack attack", I go upstairs to my quilting room & get busy. Now for the April challenge.
Welcome! We could be twins! Are you by any chance an MT? Our stories are nearly identical, except for the walking. Work long hours and I really need to work in the exercise part, but fighting it tooth and nail so far. I love rice vinegar on my salads. Sometimes I add a little olive oil, but usually not. Keep up the good work! :thumbup: