Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM
quilt4fun

Fellow quilters, thank you for sharing!

I have been delighted with your stories and enjoying the way you each have traveled the quilter's pathway. I taught high school Home Economics in the 70 and 80's, right when guys started sharing their interest in cooking and sewing. Coed food classes were a blast. After taking a class or two in foods, some of the guys signed up for sewing. I found that these guys were gifted, having sewn for years and that I could mentor them on their more complicated projects. They were accomplished. These guys also took a coed needlecraft class where students learned to knit, crochet, quilt, and needlepoint (remember Rosey Greer, PA football player noted for also doing needlepoint?) What fun!

I grew up in a family where my mom sewed and so did all of my sisters. My Dad, however, stepped up to the plate when my brother restored a 31 Model A Ford. My dad took over and
reupholstered the seats, using the Singer Sewing machine. It was obvious to all of us that sewing was to be enjoyed, no matter who was in the "driver's seat."

After watching Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts at 5:30 AM as I got ready for work, I decided that quilting was THE WAY to renew my sewing spirit. Many a guy has been a guest on her show, letting all of us know that quilting is to be enjoyed by all!

Please keep sharing your journey (and pictures).

Quilter from Southern California