Thread: bargello tute
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Barb_MO

After you have cut all your fabrics you should have them stacked and arranged in order left to right fab #1 through fab #11 as in Photo #1
From these fabric stacks you sorted according to earlier directions for your strip sets.

Notice I had the fold at the top...I did that because it makes it easier for me to pick up a strip from the stack and I want to keep them folded until I take them to the sewing machine.

You will have seven stacks now, ranging from 3 sets to a stack to 1 set as in photo #2
You only have seven strip sets because that is all the colors that will ever appear at the top fabric in your quilt sections.
Notice that strips are still folded and the fold at the top.

Take one stack at a time to the sewing machine. I have an old sewing machine in an old cabinet, so I have space to lay my stack right there beside me. At the sewing machine you should lay the stack down, this time have the folds at the bottom.
At the folded end pick up two strips, fabric # 1 & fab #2, grasp the cut ends with other hand and drop the folded end. Now work your fingers in (photo #3) and take hold of the inner two ends.
You will have your two strip right sides together, you can let the other cut ends drop down, one to the back and one to the front (Photo #4). Give it a little shake to straighten the strips and you are ready to put it under the presser foot.
You will chain piece through the end and have fab #11 left. Cut your chain from the machine and open out the last on and turn it over right side to fab #11 and sew together (photo#5)

Now cut the chain off the machine....don't cut these apart or iron them. I pull the chain from the back of the machine and start letting it fall to the floor on the right side of me. I drape the chain over my lap and cut the first set off the chain and open it up and place it right side to the one that is in my lap. Place those under the presser foot and sew to the end.. After you've sew a few stitches you can cut those off your chain and leave the rest in you lap for the next set.
Any time you have an extra in your lap at then end, cut the chain from the machine and sew it to the one in your lap.

Adding the orphan strip to the last set on the chain
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65340[/ATTACH]

Strips stacked and read to organize
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65568[/ATTACH]

strip sets ready to sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65569[/ATTACH]

drop the outer two end, now strips are right side together ready to sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65570[/ATTACH]

geting hold of the inner ends of two strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65594[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65335.jpe   attachment-65563.jpe   attachment-65564.jpe   attachment-65565.jpe   attachment-65589.jpe