Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything? >
  • Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything?

• Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:27 PM

Default Weight

Anyone here has any idea how much it weighs? (Including its cover)
    I want to move it to another location and need to check its weight but don’t have the machine next to me at the moment
    Old 01-31-2022, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    It appears to be a Singer 28 based on the fact that the hinge pin appears to be to the left of the edge of the back slide plate. It has a manual tension release which doesn't have much space below it (the 27 has more space below it) and also the low bobbin winder - which both indicate either a 27 or a 28 not a 127 or 128.

I'm guessing that the back inspection plate is probably a pear shape rather than a circle shape.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Could we get a better picture of the badge on the black machine (to which this is in response to)? The more I look at it the more something isn't quite what I think it should be.
    I think you're right a 27 or 28 based on the location of the bobbin winder. Hard to tell if the crank is still intact. It looks like it could be missing the handle. One throat plate is missing and the others look rusted. The bobbin winder gear and the stitch length knob both look rusted. The decals are certainly damaged. As to value, that will depend on what someone is willing to pay. I could see myself perhaps willing to pay between $25.00 and $50.00 for this machine, but based on this picture no more.

It would be a fine project for a hobbyist to get to work on to see if it could be made to sew.

From what I recall, if it's a full sized machine it would weigh at least 30 pounds with the base and cover. Perhaps a bit more. If it is to be shipped, it will have to be packed safely which would add a fair bit amount to the weight.