Guest Room

Old 05-12-2024, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I think it should go as one's lifestyle goes. If everyone is okay with a combined usage room, that's what should be done. I don't like a combined room, had that and didn't like it. Doesn't mean it is wrong or bad for those who find it works for them. In this house we have a dedicated guest room and I like that for whenever we have guests, not really that often or for long periods of time- maybe 3-4 times a year for a few days. Another question for discussion is of the married folks here, who still sleeps in the same bed/room, because among my friends there is wide variabliity of that too). The other three bedrooms are upstairs and ours is on main. Another discussion question could be of folks who have 2 or more levels in their houses, who likes their room on the main floor, who needs it on the main floor, and who really likes being upstairs and can get up there.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:09 AM

I'm single but have a 3-bedroom house so I turned the smallest one into a library with an easy chair/ottman and TV. One of my cats loves the chair. I don't have guests over often but it's nice to have it just in case. Just recently my sister had to go into the hospital for a week so my mother who lives with her came to stay with me. I don't use the upstairs bathroom much so she had her own bathroom also. Mine is in the basement where I'm at most times.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:50 AM

We built a 3 bedroom home for us. DD lives with us and uses one, the other 2 are the master area in a Jack and Jill arrangement with the master bath joining the two. We have separate vanities also! When my friends from Dallas visited, I gave them my room, and stayed in DH's room. We don't have many overnite visitors and most family lives nearby, so this works out for us. I try to keep sewing stuff in workroom area, the main house is cluttered enough with 3 adults living together.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:09 AM

We have a 3 bedroom house. All the bedrooms are on the second floor. The master is very large with an en suite full bath. The other two bedrooms are smaller and share a bath. One room is 100% pet free--no exceptions because of allergies. I also use that bed for flat storing my finished quilts. The other bedroom is usually used by the two grands (and our ginger cat who likes to sleep under that bed.)

At Christmas, we really could use another bedroom because that is about the only time everyone stays over. If the roughed in basement bathroom gets finished this summer, we'll let the grands camp out down there with air mattresses, sleeping bags--and a tv of course.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

When we bought our home I chose the second largest bedroom for my sewing room. I love it but I kind of wish I had taken one of the 2 smaller rooms. But just thinking of moving everything makes me tired!
Old 05-13-2024, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
When we bought our home I chose the second largest bedroom for my sewing room. I love it but I kind of wish I had taken one of the 2 smaller rooms. But just thinking of moving everything makes me tired!
That's the main reason we haven't moved! We talk about moving farther out, but then look around the house and get tired just thinking about moving! We're both collectors and between my husband 100+ vintage advertising signs and my antiques and sewing stuff, it just seems so overwhelming that we've stayed here.