Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rick rack? >

rick rack?

rick rack?

Old 05-13-2024, 08:30 AM

allergic to rick rack I got a ton of madras shirts over the years from my aunt's hand me downs, I don't believe I've ever purchased a plaid piece of clothing for m yself since

THANK YOU for mentioning it can bleed or shrink. I just sent an offer for a big lot on ebay so if I get some I'll be sure to soak and shrink it when we get back home.

after I cut apart and reassemble the 9patches I have a 10.5" block. I intend to make this 50X70".
So my thought, just for something different is when I'm quilting, to run the rickrack down and across using the 10" blocks seams to quilt down the rickrack, then quilt the rest. Or viceversa. So there wouldn't be any frayed ends problem, they will be in the binding. But what I think about when stitching isn't always what I do later, my working wall speaks over time.

I was really sorry to see the empty Creations quilt shop building here, visited it 5 years ago. I need to start calling as google is so out of tune with what is open and what is long gone. It really was a nice shop. Not that I'm buying fabric, if I do I'm saving that day for Quitman's Stitchin' Heaven when we turn back for home. What I'm seriously looking for is one of them having a 28MM Olfa yellow ergonomic curved rotary cutter. I've had a watch on Ebay for months, I don't think they are made anymore, no response from Olfa to my query, and I really like that size for paper piecing and I want one to keep with my sewing stuff in the RV.

thanks for the input everyone!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jambalaya1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	648563   Click image for larger version

Name:	jambalaya2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	940.4 KB
ID:	648564  
Old 05-13-2024, 10:19 AM

Don't give up on your eBay watch, Sharyn! I just checked on E.E.Schenck's website; they carry 28 mm refills in Olfa, Omnigrid, Clover, Quilters Select, and TrueCut (which I've never heard of). Maybe watch FB Marketplace, too.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:26 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=3_nmq...ature=youtu.be

Kelly Cline just posted about washing new to you trims, if anyone might find the youtube interesting.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:25 PM

You do need to watch out for quality. I made a baby pillow/taggy toy, and the Wright’s rick rack from 10 years ago was soft and nice. The new stuff was stiff and rough. Tucking it under the edge of a circle was next to impossible.

Not a big fan of HL, but they had some that was very soft and made in Thailand. It saved the day.

Haven’t used (but own) some jumbo colors from MS* that seem very soft.

So, I’d steer clear of the current Wright’s. It’s awful.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:34 PM

New packages of rick rack was 10 cents each at an estate sale so I have a good supply. Planning to use in a quilt “someday” with vintage prints as a Grandmothers Fan.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:28 AM

It has been at least a decade since I've made a basket quilt, I was thinking rickrack would make cute basket handles too if the block is small, maybe 3-4". My vision problems make hand applique a moot point anymore.

I got that huge vintage rickrack lot off ebay, they accepted my offer. It is winging it's way home as we speak, I won't be there until June again, but my top I want to use it on is coming along beautifully. Madly Scrappy I should have the center pieced today before we pack up and move on to Waco TX.

this winter I ran across my few packages and used some of it on block project boards. These are one of the best gifts I've made for myself, I now have to work Really hard to mess up block assembly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	designboards 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	648587  
Old 05-18-2024, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

I would like to lnow more about your block assembly boatdd.

Size?
what are they made of?
How do you store them ?

Old 05-18-2024, 05:42 AM

I'm jealous - traveling with your quilting stuff.