Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Book - Highly Recommend >
  • Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

• Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by fishnlady
    Originally Posted by CindyinNY
    They must know we're looking. The cheapest price I just saw was $22.46. Too expensive for me.
    I think you are right. I have been looking at Amazon and there the cheapest price I think is around $16 used. I will keep looking. Supply and demand. Gets us everytime. LOL
    I ordered mine from Valore books, used, for $2.84 + $3.95 shipping, total of $6.79. I think I found them on Amazon "Other buying options" at side of page, or maybe Googled title. I like crisp new books but can buy more at these prices. :lol:
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    I am so in love with this book, that I thought I would share it with the group since I have not seen it mentioned on here (at least since I became a member a few months ago).

Name of book: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

It has over 350 different block designs of all different "patches", trees, roads, crosses, butterflies, etc, instructions on how to set a design "on point", diagonal sets, and on and on. There is also graph paper pages, how to figure the number of blocks needed, and much more.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive book for beginners and for experienced with 111 pages all filled with blocks like you see in the picture below. I got my book on Amazon used (it was actually like new) for around $10 about a year ago.

The reason I am posting this is because I recently posted a couple of pictures of my Autumn Table Toppers and many wanted to know where to get the pattern. I have sent some the pattern card for it, but this book has similar things and is WAY more economical. I guarantee you will love this book.

Let me know if anyone has one or buys one.
    yes, i have two. actually, it was one of the first books i bought. she is talented and quite a character. i am glad you have discovered her. you cannot go wrong if you adopt her attitude along with her technique. she will make you smile. she has more than one book...so, keep looking for the other ones. i used to watch her on tv and she always kept a shocked look on the hostess's face. enjoy.
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by chicagoshar
    Ha! Because my mother always called me Sharon Anne, I started signing things that way - got a little dicey when I had to sign things legally :-)
    With my married name my initials spell "ASH", which I should be grateful for I think. My maiden name would have been "ASO" - not so nice :0
    ASO - that's quite amusing. :lol: My mom changed the spelling of her name to a cutesy version, which also caused legal issues. Still is and she is now 81. Beautiful avatar, btw!!!
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    I am so in love with this book, that I thought I would share it with the group since I have not seen it mentioned on here (at least since I became a member a few months ago).

Name of book: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

It has over 350 different block designs of all different "patches", trees, roads, crosses, butterflies, etc, instructions on how to set a design "on point", diagonal sets, and on and on. There is also graph paper pages, how to figure the number of blocks needed, and much more.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive book for beginners and for experienced with 111 pages all filled with blocks like you see in the picture below. I got my book on Amazon used (it was actually like new) for around $10 about a year ago.

The reason I am posting this is because I recently posted a couple of pictures of my Autumn Table Toppers and many wanted to know where to get the pattern. I have sent some the pattern card for it, but this book has similar things and is WAY more economical. I guarantee you will love this book.

Let me know if anyone has one or buys one.
    Did you know that the blocks from this book was originally designed to be made with small log cabin blocks? Yup. Our guild in New Hampshire hosted Mary Ellen Hopkins in October 1987. Learned all sorts of wonderful things from her. She is the most fun loving lady in the quilting world!

If I mentioned the date October 17, 1987 - would that mean anything to you? On that day I was driving ME from Massachusettes to Vermont while the NY Stock Exchange was crashing big time! DH hasn't let me forget it. Said it was worse than what Nero did while Rome burned. I don't buy into that, though. :(

Have the book & used it quite a lot, especially for reference. Made a few small quilts with 1/4" logs.

Awesome story about Mary Ellen and I did not know that about the log cabin blocks. Were you the cause of THIS recession, as well?? lol.
    Oh, dear Lord, I pray not! DH has been unemployed for over a year now. He found out nearly 2 years ago that he wouldn't be geting a contract for the academic year beginning in August, 2009. Still searching for a job.
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM

For those who are still looking - Half.com has some copies for under $10.
    Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM

half.com has it in paperback for $3.99.
    Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM

This was the first quilt book I bought for myself! I love her approach! And as someone else mentioned, her dedication is priceless :lol:
    Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM

I checked half.com and they have the book for 3.95
    Old 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sallyjane
    This was the first quilt book I bought for myself! I love her approach! And as someone else mentioned, her dedication is priceless :lol:
    I love the little quilt shop in Oakhurst. Always go there when I take a day trip to Chukchansi. Bear Paws is the name - right?
    Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM

Be careful of copy right laws if you are sending out patterns. The fines are steep!
    lilhawk