Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Back from quilters with tension issues >
  • Back from quilters with tension issues

• Back from quilters with tension issues

Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Karyn
    Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    That is not acceptable. She is having problems and she is aware of it but doesn't seem to care.
    Let me run something by all of you. A friend of mine gave a couple of quilts to a friend that does LA quilting before Thanksgiving 2009, still doesn't have them done. I know she has put her off because she is a friend. If it was me, I would have told her to give them back. She has said jokingly that she didn't know whether to get paid for quilting or charge her 'rent'.
    I think my friend has been more than patient-

What would y'all do?

If the LArmer works for money ,
    a) she should have had them finished by now
    b) she should not accept commissioning from whom she does not know how to charge.
    But if she quilts for a hobby , it may be that she´s not interested in
    quilting them. I´d get them back as they are.
    Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm a professional longarm quilter. I think her cavalier attitude was astonishing.

If I were in your shoes, I would not have accepted the quilts with the poor tension. I would have insisted that she redo the areas that were not good quality stitching and I would have gone over each and every quilt to point out the areas I wanted picked out and re-quilted. And no check would be going to her until the quilts were done in a satisfactory manner.

Most people do good work. Some people do lousy work. There are good hair stylists and bad ones, good mechanics and bad mechanics, good plumbers and bad ones, good babysitters and bad babysitters. This field of quilting for hire is no different.

I'm so sorry that this happened to your quilts, and I am especailly sad that she had FOUR of your quilts instead of just one!
    Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Ladies I have the best long arm quilter in the world. She lives on Ft myers beach in Florida but happy to quilt for anyone anywhere with quick turnaround and quite often she will undo portions of the quilts I give her because they are not quite perfect. She is amazing! Her quilts are beautiful and have won ribbons. Her name is Vicki and she is [email protected] I cannot say enough good things about her. Somewhere on here is the Kfasset quilt she quilted for me. Here is her phone # please give her a call she is extremely reasonable and fun the work with. We are not related and I don't get a "kick" for recommending her. Give her a shout you will be really glad you did.

Beachside Quilter, L.C.C.
    18420 Deep Passage Lane
    Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931

Phone:(239) 209-0990
    Email:[email protected]
    Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I want to do long arming so badly, and I know that if I had tension issues, I would have to pic it out and do it over, even for myself, much less for a customer. You should either get your money back, or have her redo them. This is WRONG no matter what way it is viewed
    Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

I'd be afraid to let her do over, she may do it worse. Does she do good work on others that you've seen? Take them to guild ,and be sure to tell them who did the quilting. You wouldn't have to tell people how bad they could see for theirselves. I'd want my money back.
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Sorry to hear that, sure wouldn't have given her the 4 but Hindsight
    here doesn't apply.. Just be careful who you choose next time and
    just give them one to see how they do...
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

I agree, find someone else. The tension issue should have been brought to your attention once she noticed it and gave you the choice on whether to change the thread, etc. Sorry about your dissappointment.
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Am having the same problem with a quilt I'm doing on the long arm....I want it to look the same both sides.....first quilt I did came out perfect but this one is a pain.. dont you wish you could unpick as fast as you can sew.....but I could never do a quilt for someone with out making sure it was as good as I would like it to be for myself
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Karyn
    Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    That is not acceptable. She is having problems and she is aware of it but doesn't seem to care.
    Let me run something by all of you. A friend of mine gave a couple of quilts to a friend that does LA quilting before Thanksgiving 2009, still doesn't have them done. I know she has put her off because she is a friend. If it was me, I would have told her to give them back. She has said jokingly that she didn't know whether to get paid for quilting or charge her 'rent'.
    I think my friend has been more than patient- What would y'all do?
    Absolutely more than patient! She needs to get them back at once and find another quilter! Makes me wonder if something happened to them. I'd be really worried by now. All the best to your friend.
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM

You worked very hard on your quilts. Making a quilt is as much an emotional journey as it is the physical act of quilting. To have this happen is an insult to you that she didn't accept responsability for her mistake - you know the saying a poor workman blames his tools? I would never give her another chance and I'd be warning other's about her too so they don't end up in the same bind. I am truly sorry your quilts were not done properly.