Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • thick batting for hand quilting >
  • thick batting for hand quilting

• thick batting for hand quilting

Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 AM

Do you want heavy, thick, or warm? I've used Polydown, which is a higher loft than my usual battings (Quilters Dream, thinnest ones in cotton and poly) and which was fine to quilt, but I doubt it was any heavier. The heaviest thing I made was a basic tied quilt with flannel on both sides, but as I tied it, I don't know how easy it would be to quilt.
    Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
    Quilters Dream "Dream Puff" would be ideal - I've used it several times
    http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-puff.htm
    Katrine, Thanks for this Quilters Dream site, I found just the batting I was looking for. May in Jersey
    Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 AM
    Power Poster

CloverPatch, good to know. I was afraid to buy the Warm and Natural because I am a hand quilter. I should get a piece and try it!
    Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Completely agree with the hand problems and high loft. That had me sworn off handquilting for several months!!
    Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 AM

My mom is quilting something by hand with a thick poly batting - don't know if it is the highest loft, but sure higher than I like to use, and it is harder to get small stitches, but not impossible to quilt. If you're going for more of a "folk art" look you could probably use a larger needle and perle cotton to do the stitching, and it would work. If you have or can get scraps of batting, try it out on a test swatch first to see how you like working with the thickness.
    Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    CloverPatch, good to know. I was afraid to buy the Warm and Natural because I am a hand quilter. I should get a piece and try it!
    If you would like I can send you some of my Warm and natural scraps. Send you a couple 12 x12 pieces to see how you like it.
    Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 AM

My first quilting was with Warm and Natural. It was difficult to get the needle through. So I then took two hand-quilting classes, figuring since I didn't know what I was doing, something had to be wrong. Both instructors advised me to use wool or a cotton-poly blend. Both are easy to work with.

Has anyone tried the bamboo-cotton blend? I'm interested in any feedback on it.

Linda
    Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM

i have used the bamboo batting. no problem - but then i do not have problems with the warm and natural either. it is a bit "creamier" tho (the bamboo)
    Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Not sure what you mean by heavy. If thick is what you are looking for, I use two layers of wool batting from Taos Mountain Wool Works
    http://www.manta.com/c/mm4xmz8/taos-...in-wool-works. They do not have a website. I've used them since before wool batting was widely available. Quilting through that batting is like quilting through butter.
    Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Not sure what you mean by heavy. If thick is what you are looking for, I use two layers of wool batting from Taos Mountain Wool Works
    http://www.manta.com/c/mm4xmz8/taos-...in-wool-works. They do not have a website. I've used them since before wool batting was widely available. Quilting through that batting is like quilting through butter. I've also found basting very well and keeping quilt very loose in hoop helps me make smaller, more even stitches. Actually, my biggest problem is seams, not thick batting- unless it is poly or worst- cotton.

Maggie