Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Largest Quilt Shop in America? >
  • Largest Quilt Shop in America?

• Largest Quilt Shop in America?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 PM

i love painted pony...they are huge...but i agree with sandy, m&l in buena park is really big...they have so much fabric....i just went there while on vacation in calif last week....i was in 7th heaven!!!!!!!!.....does keeping quiltsake have an actual store? i thought they were just catalog.....gina
    Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgirl26
    Hi I am new to quilting and I was wondering what the largest quilt shop is in America? I live in Houston and the largest one near me has 10,000 bolts. Thanks!
    I also live in the HOuston area...which shop are you talking about??
    Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
    I forgot about High Fashions..haven't been there in years. Use to be the go to place when I was making formals for the daughter. Don't know about their quilting fabric. Will check them out next time I haul downtown to lunch with DH.
    I haven't been there in number of years but heard that they have more cotton fabric for quilting but don't know that for a fact!
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Largest shop in my area is Fabric Shack in Waynesville, Ohio. Lots of fabric, narrow aisles...not my first place to shop. I still prefer my LQS, they have enough to get me in trouble.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
    JAS

I would agree Mary Jo's (it was a deptment store like a JC Penny's in a Mall) they beat out Hancocks in Paduck.. I've been to both and was disappointed in Hancocks(nice store but no Mary Jo's). another great thing about Mary Jo's is the parking space it's hugh so easy to get in and out with a RV...
    JAS
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Quilter's Cottage is one of my favorites. Well stocked, they turn their merchandise over quickly (good sales) and the staff always been helpful but without hovering. Also, I like It's a Stitch in Humble and have visited Painted Pony. We really do have great shops in and around Houston with one exception which has rude employees, pretend they are doing you a favor when they offer 10% off and has the highest prices among all of the Houston quilt shops. Needless to say, they don't get my business anymore.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
    JAS

IrishNY , Plan to be in up-state NY this summmer. Where is this place Fieldstone House located? ..if we are not having to go to far out of our way perhapes we can stop in and have a look see.
    JAS
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Door Mouse has bunches but it's crowded. But a great 'destination' shop.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM
    JAS

Bonnie,
    Where is this shop Quilter's Station located in MO, in May we will be in IN so may get chance to go then if I can locate it...Thanks JAS...
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Hancocks of Paducah has over 60,000 sq feet and 40 employees. When I was there a few years ago, I found that a back room has long tables of piles of 1 yard cuts of fabric. Probably 50 women were in there searching. The trick was when you found some of the fabric you liked, you put it over your shoulder, when someone else finds something you have over your shoulder, they holler to you and you go get it and then you have 2 yrds, this continues until you have all you want. The lines were out the door, so if you go, don't go anywhere near closing time. It's a day trip, not an hour or two...