• Why so few red batiks? >
  • Why so few red batiks?

• Why so few red batiks?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Originally Posted by katier825
    Try Seawatch Fabrics.

http://www.seawatchfabrics.com/
    Oh. My. Gosh. Thank you!!! What a fantastic site! I can see what I'll be doing at naptime today! :D
    I love this site for their batiks and Asian fabrics. I try not to go there too often 'cuz I'm on a budget! :D
    Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Try this place, it's all batiks. www.fabricfanatics.com

Rhonda
    Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM

I know reds are difficult to find, so I brought back several from Bali. Send me a PM if interested.
    Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by icon17
    Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    I have a new pattern I want to get started on but it appears I chose the wrong color and fabric type combo. I want to do it in an assortment of red batiks but I'm having a heck of a time finding reds. I never realized the majority of batiks were in blues and greens, but that appears to be the case. I can find a few 1895's and mottles in reds but I want some with designs too. I have shopped several times with batiksplus.com and really like them, but their site is impossible to search by color so you have to click on each different fabric to see what colors it comes in. I gave up on that. I tried fabric.com, thousandsofbolts.com and HOP, but not very much on any of them. I'm gonna wait 'til this weekend and try my LQS and another quilt shop that's out of town. Hopefully between the two of them I can collect up enough reds and avoiding a bunch of shipping charges.

Hate to think I might have to change my plans. :P

Oops, this is in the wrong section. Mods can you move this please? :oops:
    Hi, After you find your Red Batiks make a Extra effort to Set the dyes, I've also heard that salt/vinegar don't work to set the new dyes.
    8-)
    Vinegar alone does work; no salt. I just tried it on a black print piece of fabric. Back in the '60s when madras plaids were so popular, instructions were to soak in vinegar water before washing. Anyway, I wash preparing for a tee shirt quilt class last Friday and we were instructed to rinse all of our FQ's in clear water until dye disappears. Not much problem with that but the black printed fabric I have for the outside border continued to fade with every rinse until I finally remember the old vinegar thing. So after about 8 rinses that were still coming out with dye, the next one with about 1/3 cup of vinegar did the trick and the water stayed cleared. I even super swished it around and still the water stayed clear. Never added salt, just vinegar.
    Vernell in Austiin
    Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Originally Posted by cherrio
    check A THOUSAND BOLTS great selection good prices. no connection, just love the online store
    Um, she posted that she already checked with A Thousand Bolts. ;-)
    OP said she tried Batiks plus in the original post not Thousands of Bolts.
    Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Try batiks.com. The store is batiks etc and sew what fabrics, they have reds and when they are on sale they aer pretty good sales
    Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by vschieve
    Originally Posted by icon17
    Hi, After you find your Red Batiks make a Extra effort to Set the dyes, I've also heard that salt/vinegar don't work to set the new dyes.
    8-)
    Vinegar alone does work; no salt. I just tried it on a black print piece of fabric. Back in the '60s when madras plaids were so popular, instructions were to soak in vinegar water before washing. Anyway, I wash preparing for a tee shirt quilt class last Friday and we were instructed to rinse all of our FQ's in clear water until dye disappears. Not much problem with that but the black printed fabric I have for the outside border continued to fade with every rinse until I finally remember the old vinegar thing. So after about 8 rinses that were still coming out with dye, the next one with about 1/3 cup of vinegar did the trick and the water stayed cleared. I even super swished it around and still the water stayed clear. Never added salt, just vinegar.
    Vernell in Austiin
    Just a note on vinegar: it only works on some, but not all, acid dyes (mainly used on nylon, silk, and wool). Most cottons are colored with fiber-reactive dyes. Also be very sure to rinse vinegar out entirely or it will eat the fabric over time, like bleach does. Bleach and vinegar are both acids. The safest, surest, and best way to set dyes in fabric is with Retayne. It is specifically made for just that purpose.
    Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM

I was just at a new LQS and their red batik selection was awesome...
    Quilts and Friends in Roanoke In
    260-676-2149
    e-mail: [email protected]

XOXOXO Subee
    Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Yellow and Gold are difficult too
    Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM

have you tried quiltshops.com? they have many shops listed with many batiks.
    Joann