Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM
    Power Poster

And yet another 221 Featherweight... Over the weekend I was able to get to this little machine and work on it. I had purchased it very cheaply because it was not running. Thanks to Tomilu's advice I got it all greased up again, cleaned and oiled all the mechanical parts, and now it sews like a charm! The grease tubes had very little grease in them and packing them with grease was all it took to get the motor going again. Such simple little machines... I also polished up the case with black shoe polish, which improved it's appearance 100%.

1955 Model 221
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]179493[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-179487.jpe
Views:	87
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	179493  
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Arkansas is getting the you know what kicked out of it again with several tornadoes on the ground and looks to be headed this way!!

It is starting where it did last night so everyone is saying it is going to be just like it was then.

Billy
    Are you in Arkansas?! I am in Jacksonville :)
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 AM

Beautiful machine, jtapp9!! I just recieved my 301 on Wednesday. I have cleaned out the old grease from gears and cleaned with kerosene moving parts. It was pretty clean to begin with. My question is: Do you grease the motor. And if so, how? My featherweight's motor is easy to do. Do you have to take the machine apart to get to the motor? Or is this one of the machines that don't need lubricating? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Joni
    Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    And yet another 221 Featherweight... Over the weekend I was able to get to this little machine and work on it. I had purchased it very cheaply because it was not running. Thanks to Tomilu's advice I got it all greased up again, cleaned and oiled all the mechanical parts, and now it sews like a charm! The grease tubes had very little grease in them and packing them with grease was all it took to get the motor going again. Such simple little machines... I also polished up the case with black shoe polish, which improved it's appearance 100%.
    Sewbizgirl, I never thought of the shoe polish on the case! I have one FW case that had been left in a room someone was spray painting white - so it is covered with white specks! I wonder if shoe polish would help that? Cute FW, by the way, congratulations on your great buy!

Nancy
    Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I also polished up the case with black shoe polish, which improved it's appearance 100%.
    Sewbizgirl, I never thought of the shoe polish on the case! I have one FW case that had been left in a room someone was spray painting white - so it is covered with white specks! I wonder if shoe polish would help that? Cute FW, by the way, congratulations on your great buy!

Nancy
    I'm afraid not, Nancy. Shoe polish is only tinted a little bit. It won't cover up a contrasting color like white. Maybe you can find something mild that would take the paint off, then you can polish it. It depends whether it was latex or oil-based paint as to how hard it's going to be to get it off.
    Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy
    Nancy, That is a beautiful job!
    Wow...that cabinet came out so beautiful! Congratulations on a great job!!!
    Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
    Power Poster

Nancy
    I had some on mine and just removed them with my thumbnail.
    Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I also polished up the case with black shoe polish, which improved it's appearance 100%.

Nancy
    I had some on mine and just removed them with my thumbnail.
    Must have been latex paint, LOL...
    Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM

Sharon, your machine is really pretty. With all the great machines you all have been posting, now I am looking for a treadle.
    Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Billy, that white machine is a beauty. I wonder what the story is why it wasn't used much. What a treasure!