Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need instructions and possible ideas >
  • Need instructions and possible ideas

• Need instructions and possible ideas

Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm not sure what you call them so that doesn't help much. It is when you center a specific part of you fabric in a block and I don't know what that type of block is called.
    I need to know how you mark and cut out the block?
    And wonder if there are patterns for this type of quilt to help with ideas on puting it together?
    (Doesn't this have novice written all over it?)
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
    Power Poster

Are you talking about fussy cutting a block, so you have a certain part of the fabric in the center of the block? If so, I just use a ruler the size of the square I want. I am not sure what you are asking though...
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

I think you are talking about fussy cutting, which can be anything from centering a motif in a square to actually cutting a single flower out of a floral print and applique-ing it on a quilt. If you are cutting a geometric shape, like a square, triangle etc. most quilting rulers are see thru so you can selectively cut your fabric. Any pattern with an larger unpieced square should work.
    But for some reason I think you may be talking about a 4 patch posey? Here's a sample pic from this board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48990-1.htm

If thisis what you had in mind, you can do a search now that you have the name.
    Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I think you are talking about fussy cutting, which can be anything from centering a motif in a square to actually cutting a single flower out of a floral print and applique-ing it on a quilt. If you are cutting a geometric shape, like a square, triangle etc. most quilting rulers are see thru so you can selectively cut your fabric. Any pattern with an larger unpieced square should work.
    But for some reason I think you may be talking about a 4 patch posey? Here's a sample pic from this board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48990-1.htm

If thisis what you had in mind, you can do a search now that you have the name.
    Wow that 4 patch posey is a beautiful quilt. I think I'm thinking of more like fussy cutting. Now I just need to find a block/pattern that has a larger center section.
    Thanks.
    Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM

how big a block would you want? If you have a specific fabric in mind, try measuring the size you need to cover the area you want to showcase. (clear as mud?) I think a Warm Wishes would work well.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d...html?idx=5185_

If you want a bigger size block, PM me and I will help you decide how big you need to cut your strips. This is a free pattern.