Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what is scrap and what is trash? >
  • what is scrap and what is trash?

• what is scrap and what is trash?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 AM

When cutting off the triangles on blocks, I sew them together and save for a different project. If its usable in some way for me - I'll save it. I'm currently saving hst's and cutting down to 1.5" for a quilt, 1.5" squares and anything that could be used in applique.
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 AM

I save everything. I haven't used it yet but I will. It comes in handy when you just need a small piece to finish an applique.
    Sue
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 AM

HEHEHEHEHEHE And I will come back at my very earliest conveinance (not in the summer).

Originally Posted by gaigai
    I am not a scrap quilter, so I don't keep anything smaller than a half yard (and probably shouldn't keep those). I tend to buy a minimum of three yards of anything, and if I like the fabric a lot, I'll buy the whole bolt.

Anything smaller than an 1/2 yard goes into a big tub of scraps that I seldom look at.

I also have a lot of FQ's, but I've stopped buying them because I don't think I've ever used any. (And please, no pm's asking to me to sell/donate etc)

My rationale now is that they are BAIT!! A certain friend of mine here on the board, loves scrappy quilts. When she was here recently, I let her go through and take what she wanted. We shipped a 23 lb. box home to her. So the rest are BAIT to entice her to come back and play! LOL
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM

I keep anything over 2" for scrappy things. I've found that anything smaller, I can't find a project for.
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:13 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by kwhite
    HEHEHEHEHEHE And I will come back at my very earliest conveinance (not in the summer).

Heck, even I don't want to be here in the summer! Well, to be honest, I don't want to be here any time, but as you know I'm stuck. Kinda like Purgatory.
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 AM

I keep anything I think is big enough to use in a crumb block and I throw everything else away with great glee! I don't have much of a stash and I like my quilts to have patterns. But crumb blocks, because they are made with 'garbage' (in my own mind) are completely freeing. I hate to have too much stuff that I can't use. Jane
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 AM

Scrap is still usable in some way, trash is too little to use, a thread possibly. :) I donate "trash" to a community center for kids to use for making art out of it somehow. I have totes full so scraps waiting for their perfect use in a project.

Cathy S/Willowwind
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 AM

Come up to PA. Bring Mom. i bet we can get her in love with the north east. No GIANT bugs.

But to keep with the subject of the thread. i keep everything too. I just have a conundrum right now on how to store my fabrics of all sizes. I outgrew my shelves and have tubs. I really want it all in one location. I have my sewing room torn apart. I am slowly putting it back together but have no soultion as of yet for the fabrics. Hohummm

Originally Posted by gaigai

Heck, even I don't want to be here in the summer! Well, to be honest, I don't want to be here any time, but as you know I'm stuck. Kinda like Purgatory.
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 AM
    Banned

Come up to PA. Bring Mom. i bet we can get her in love with the north east. No GIANT bugs.

But to keep with the subject of the thread. i keep everything too. I just have a conundrum right now on how to store my fabrics of all sizes. I outgrew my shelves and have tubs. I really want it all in one location. I have my sewing room torn apart. I am slowly putting it back together but have no soultion as of yet for the fabrics. Hohummm
    Nah, Mom would rather have giant bugs than cold weather. And I can help rearrange your sewing room. I'll just store all your large yardage for you.

:mrgreen:
    Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 AM

I love saving my scraps. All of them. Sometimes I share with others.