Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help with pre-wound bobbins >
  • Need help with pre-wound bobbins

• Need help with pre-wound bobbins

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Did not mean to infer that Singer is not a reputable company.. I have several singer items which I am totally pleased with... just wondering why such a company would market what I consider to be a suboptimal product. Then again, maybe I'm in the minority. What do I know!!!!!!
    Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Can u use a piece of scotch tape to find the end? Just a thought. Good luck!
    Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by LeeJay
    Did not mean to infer that Singer is not a reputable company.. I have several singer items which I am totally pleased with... just wondering why such a company would market what I consider to be a suboptimal product. Then again, maybe I'm in the minority. What do I know!!!!!!
    LeeJay, please! My mom owns a Singer machine, which totally blew me away when she bought it. As far as what do you know; YOU know a lot! I was raised as a daughter of parents born during the depression. Waste not, want not. (Believe me there are no scraps to throw into the garbage after dinner.) I managed to use up that interesting box of bobbins, but not as bobbins. Somehow, I managed to find the end of the continuous loop and used them as the top thread for lots of things! It might have taken quite a while, but there is an "end" somewhere! Some were easier to find than others. :lol: I don't believe I will ever buy them again though. :lol:
    Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Can u use a piece of scotch tape to find the end? Just a thought. Good luck!
    There is no end to catch with scotch tape, tweezers, etc. As mentioned earlier, it seems to be a continuous loop. With a lot of cuss words and crude gestures, I have managed to use up several of my bobbins, but I believe I have come to the end of my rope and will probably donate them to a thrift store -- let someone else deal with them. Thank you all for your replies. It has been good to know that it has not been my ineptitude.
    LeeJay
    Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Oh yes there is an end, I have found them after much frustration and sometimes I just cut a thread and used it till the end popped out..I kept scrapping a knife edge very lightly all around the thing till one loosened up.I think I will try the cardboard ones if they actually have a place one can see the starting thread. But don't give up...they are awfully handy to use..I think in the time it took for me to find the end I could have made two skirts instead of the one seam I was trying to finish..
    Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 PM

I was working on a D9P quilt this afternoon and finished all my 9 patch blocks, so I was sewing at a very fast clip and had to put in a new bobbin twice ... sew much fun! I was just now cleaning up the sewing room a bit and was amazed at the amount of lint on my machine and sewing table. Am wondering if the thread in the pre-wounds is extra linty. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 AM

I have the cardboard prewound and have never had a problem finding an end. I do have to take the cardboard off for them to fit into my machine, though.
    Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 AM
    GG

the ones I bought at the local quilt shop where plastic and I have only had trouble with one,
    But I had my machine cleaned an the man said not to use them any more they where not good on the machine,
    Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 AM

in my opinon....write or call Singer and tell them about it
    maybe they will send you some good ones.
    never know
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 AM

I was given some prewound bobbins and the end is never hidden........they are loose and easy to find. Might just be the brand. I will be ordering a gross soon and split it with my friend. The only thing is, the bobbin doesn't signal my computerized machine when it's almost empty,.,but I can live with that.