Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary blades from Harbor Freight >
  • Rotary blades from Harbor Freight

• Rotary blades from Harbor Freight

Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Carpet Cutters from Harbor Freight
    Well, I finally got some; two packages. I figured these would last me for quite awhile. When I got home, oh so anxious to try them. Alas! they didn't cut an inch; not even a thread. I am so disappointed. I'm sure you're thinking, "I bet she put both blades in her cutter handle".
    But yes, I made sure it was just one blade before I started cutting. I took it off the handle and cleaned it off; turned it around. Nothing! It would not cut!!! The price is not worth the trip to take them back. Anybody need any carpet cutters? :)
    Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM

I am sorry 4 u cus i heard that they r doing better than rotary blades, oh and no i need for ever rotary cutter
    Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Sorry you're having trouble with them. I've never had a problem with mine.
    Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 PM

I have noticed that when inserting the blade into the cutter I do not screw it down as tight as I did with the original name brand. I put a dot with a black marker on the side of the blade and lightly run the blade across a piece of scrap material while adjusting the tightness of the screw until the dot appears to be moving smoothly. If the blade is too tight it will not cut. Believe the blades are a bit thicker.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by coloradosky
    I have noticed that when inserting the blade into the cutter I do not screw it down as tight as I did with the original name brand. I put a dot with a black marker on the side of the blade and lightly run the blade across a piece of scrap material while adjusting the tightness of the screw until the dot appears to be moving smoothly. If the blade is too tight it will not cut. Believe the blades are a bit thicker.
    I agree, I had to loosen up and then it cut fine. In our newspaper, there is usually an ad everyweek with 20% off one item. I always cut them out and have in purse. Our one Joann's is next door to Harbor.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 AM
    Banned

The blades are thicker so I don't tighten the cutter as much as with quilting blades. I've also found a couple to just be duds.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:37 AM

Thanks for info First one cut fine but when put in second one it did not cut as well will check and see if it is to tight
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:08 AM

I too have not had any luck with these blades. I had a post going a couple of weeks ago and received all kinds of suggestions--none of which worked for me. I had bought 6 pkgs and opened three-not a one cut. However it is cutting the comic boards that I am using to organize my fabric. Don't know why that is though, it's thicker than the two layers of fabric I was trying to cut. Oh well, not all is lost. I won't buy more however and it is not convenient to return them. I no longer have the receipt either.
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by gramma8
    Carpet Cutters from Harbor Freight
    Well, I finally got some; two packages. I figured these would last me for quite awhile. When I got home, oh so anxious to try them. Alas! they didn't cut an inch; not even a thread. I am so disappointed. I'm sure you're thinking, "I bet she put both blades in her cutter handle".
    But yes, I made sure it was just one blade before I started cutting. I took it off the handle and cleaned it off; turned it around. Nothing! It would not cut!!! The price is not worth the trip to take them back. Anybody need any carpet cutters? :)
    Mine work like a charm!
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 AM

I agree, I had to loosen up and then it cut fine. In our newspaper, there is usually an ad everyweek with 20% off one item. I always cut them out and have in purse. Our one Joann's is next door to Harbor.[/quote]

HF next door to JoAnn's! That is just too funny!