Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sharpen a Seam ripper ? >
  • Sharpen a Seam ripper ?

• Sharpen a Seam ripper ?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    Originally Posted by MsEithne
    Maybe because I like to live on the dangerous side but I use a disposable surgical scalpel to rip with. There are various shapes; I use a #12, the one that has a convex (inward) curve. One of the intended uses is to remove sutures.
    Where do you find them ? Sounds interesting
    I have a friend who is a vet and I buy a box from her when I get close to running out.

If you do a Google on "disposable scalpels for sale" you'll get lots of hits to choose from. You can even get them through Amazon.

It isn't only doctors and veterinarians who use scalpels; they're used in sculpture, drafting, graphic arts, I even saw my electrician use one. So there are plenty of customers and hence plenty of suppliers.
    Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Does anyone know if this can be done ? I have worn out 3 in less then 2 weeks :shock: LOL Yea I know that's a whole lotta ripping going on :roll:

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can wear out one the quickest :wink: Just kidding - but I hate to throw these away seems so wasteful .....

Here is what I was taking apart
    I broke 3 in one week last winter
    Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 AM

I must be doing something wrong. I have a Fons and Porter, ergonomically designed seam ripper and bought it about five years ago and I am still using it.

I make more mistakes than anyone here on the board. I don't understand why mine doesn't dull! And I do a lot of ripping! Well, not a whole lot, but I am sure a lot more than some of you.

Here is my thought on it. Someone had to make money on the invention of a seam ripper. We are helping them out? Remembering that only God is perfect, He planned for us to be able to use a seam ripper and He made sure that because we all love quilting so much that it would be designed as an inexpensive item that wouldn't send us to the poorhouse like a sewing machine can. Can't do without either one. So it is just like my handy dandy little orange stick that is about 65 years old (honest) that I use to push seams through! Cheap and effective!!!!!

Happy Ripping, Quilters!!!! Edie
    Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 AM

you can cut sandpaper with it and see if that helps, what have you get to lose?
    Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 AM

I didn't think that was possible. Break the point or ball off, but Wear Out, never heard of that. That is a lot of ripping, LOL
    Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 AM

I use Havels Seam Ripper, stays sharp a very long time, or a single edge razor blade.....
    Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 AM

If you're worried about the center circle not being perfect, don't be - your fabric circle will cover the imperfections. Craftybear posted this link to the Missouri Star Quilt Co a few days ago about the Dresden Plate. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy_p4pryE4
    Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Does anyone know if this can be done ? I have worn out 3 in less then 2 weeks :shock: LOL Yea I know that's a whole lotta ripping going on :roll:

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can wear out one the quickest :wink: Just kidding - but I hate to throw these away seems so wasteful .....

Here is what I was taking apart
    I hate seam rippers! I use a sharp pair of scissors, or a surgical seam ripper. I have arthritis in my hands and can't use those tiny seam rippers. To me they do more damage to fabric than good. I try to be very careful to sew right the first time so I don't have to remove stitches. Surgical scissors have a spring loaded handle and very sharp curved points and do a wonderful job.
    Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 AM

Don't know how to save a dull one by resharpening it but I do make use of an old dull one.....I use it to clean out the hairs and threads from my vac. cleaners beater bar.
    Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 AM

Don't know how to save a dull one by resharpening it but I do make use of an old dull one.....I use it to clean out the hairs and threads from my vac. cleaners beater bar.