Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

• Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 AM

I, too, learned to sew in Jr. High and High School Home Economics classes. I took every sewing course I could take in those 6 years. Had a blast. Only took one cooking class, so couldn't cook worth a darn when I graduated, but I could make my own clothes and teddy bears.
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 AM

funny cause I too took Home ec in jr. high hated it with a passion but was a requirement... I had my sister in law help me make a hooded shirt . thought I was saved til we had to wear them in a fashion show at the end of the year lol .... i was an embarrassed tomboy teen.... I didn' t get into sewing until about 2 years ago after my mom passed. I seen all the beautiful quilts she had done. and decided to give it a try . once i did I was hooked ... She is up there smiling at me and all my sisters who started quilting as well lol .... funny how things change ....:0)
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 AM

my grandmother taught me to sew on her treadle sewing machine when I was 7 yrs old. But I did take home ec - easy class to pass. LOL
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 AM

My mom started me sewing when I was about 11, She drafted a pattern for a sleeveless blouse and I made it. Then I took Home Ec in Jr and Sr Hi. I had a wonderful teacher.
    Home Ec is now FCE-Family and Consumer Ed with not much sewing, unfortunately. I was in our FCE classroom this spring using the ovens for a 4th grade class and the subject was Facebook and what can happen with if one isn't careful about security-the creeps that are out there.
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 AM

Yes! First project was a gingham apron!
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 AM

I first sew @ 8yrs w/Grandma then made Barbie doll cloths (no pattern) just made mostly fabric tubes with fabric belts. I using Grandma's scraps. Got really hooked in Jr. High and received a Home Ec. award. I had a teacher tell me she had never seen anyone use so many pins (I hate to ripout). I sewed very little when having my family and there wasn't alot you could sew for boys compare to girls.Now I have 4 G-kids the youngest is a girl 3yrs.
    Been quilting on and off for a few yrs.
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 AM

My mother was a seamstress/tailor. She taught me to sew but I have no desire to take a men's suit apart and tailor it. lol! Made my first Barbie clothes when I was in 5th grade. Then took Home Ec in high school. Remember sewing a A-line skirt, a pleated skirt, and making peach crepes. Loved that class. I kept those Barbie clothes after all these years and there is lots of those years. lol!
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 AM

I learned at home by osmosis and doing little projects like doll clothes. It kind of evolved from there. But did pick up pointers in Home Ec class.
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 AM

I learned at home by osmosis and doing little projects like doll clothes. It kind of evolved from there. But did pick up pointers in Home Ec class.
    Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 AM
    Power Poster

My memory is 6th grade on a treadle, and still have the apron I made. I can remember going to the "material store" and it was 36" wide. We took "sewing" and then "cooking" in Jr. High. I didn't take it in high school.