Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM

The manual for my Davis flat out tells you that if the *paraphrased* "machine is operating at less that optimal function due to gumminess from using poor quality oil" to drop kerosene into the oil holes, turn the handwheel several times, and then reoil with a quality sewing machine oil.

Speaking of the Davis, btw, this thing is GUNKY!! Can we say, oh, about 115 years of gunk that totally hid the fact that there are DECALS on the treadle base? Many of them are damaged/gone, but there are still quite a few left...even tho they tend to blend in with the black, I'm hoping the car wax I use on it when it's clean and the touch up painting is done will bring them out a bit more! I'll get some pics of what it looked like before, and what it looks like today (torn apart, etc.) on my blog tonight!
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Hey kids the Boss is in!! I decided to drop by and see how things are going and see what new machines have been rescued lately. As you all know I am very ill and have a super rare autoimmune system disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. There are only 300 or so cases of it in the States so I am one of a very few. It can not be cured only the symptoms can be tamed and I will die because of it it just depends when God calls me up. But for now I am going to the doctors tomorrow and we are starting the treatments and hopefully by the end of the year I will be under control and I can get back to doing what I love working on sewing machines!!!
    Billy, we've missed you. I'm sure everyone joins me in praying for you. We sure look forward to when you can feel better and be back here. You're a treasure.
    Any how I am going to meander through a few pages and see what all you guys found and I will be back tomorrow to let everyone know what is going on.

Billy
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Hey kids the Boss is in!! I decided to drop by and see how things are going and see what new machines have been rescued lately. As you all know I am very ill and have a super rare autoimmune system disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. There are only 300 or so cases of it in the States so I am one of a very few. It can not be cured only the symptoms can be tamed and I will die because of it it just depends when God calls me up. But for now I am going to the doctors tomorrow and we are starting the treatments and hopefully by the end of the year I will be under control and I can get back to doing what I love working on sewing machines!!!
    Billy, we've missed you. I'm sure everyone joins me in praying for you. We sure look forward to when you can feel better and be back here. You're a treasure.
    Any how I am going to meander through a few pages and see what all you guys found and I will be back tomorrow to let everyone know what is going on.

Billy
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
    Google Goddess

You take care of yourself Billy

Originally Posted by greaterexp

Billy
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM

I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    The manual for my Davis flat out tells you that if the *paraphrased* "machine is operating at less that optimal function due to gumminess from using poor quality oil" to drop kerosene into the oil holes, turn the handwheel several times, and then reoil with a quality sewing machine oil.

Speaking of the Davis, btw, this thing is GUNKY!! Can we say, oh, about 115 years of gunk that totally hid the fact that there are DECALS on the treadle base? Many of them are damaged/gone, but there are still quite a few left...even tho they tend to blend in with the black, I'm hoping the car wax I use on it when it's clean and the touch up painting is done will bring them out a bit more! I'll get some pics of what it looked like before, and what it looks like today (torn apart, etc.) on my blog tonight!
    Charlee, hows the cabinet coming along? Want to see pics of the progress. hint
    Glenn
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
    parts machine?
    Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
    Originally Posted by Charlee

Charlee, hows the cabinet coming along? Want to see pics of the progress. hint
    Glenn
    I'll post some on my blog tonight Glenn! :) Will let you know when they're there!
    Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Charlee, Skip
    Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    parts machine?
    That would mean I have to find another old Montgomery Ward sewing machine that needs everything but the gears??? That is so pitiful...'cause I would probably star looking for one!