Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Singer 319 in need of TLC >
  • Singer 319 in need of TLC

• Singer 319 in need of TLC

Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 AM

Really interesting thread! Thank you.
    Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 AM

Miriam, good job, I thought Billy's tut were good, but, this is even more clearier. Thank you for sharing. Thanks for keeping is simple and plain to understand. Good luck with it.
    Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 AM

Hi, just thought I'd let you all know the little secret we use around here. We use GOOP hand cleaner to clean, oil and it leaves the machine very nice! To clean the heavy stuff, just slather on and let it sit for a bit. This also takes care of any rust. I use it on every machine and this is all I use.
    Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 AM

She is in definite need of a full spa treatment but she will be a beauty when she is all cleaned up. Have fun with her and show pics after she's all dolled up!!!
    Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 AM

you can order needles they tae size 206x13 and also order an instruction book for them, sometime you can get the little discs on e bay I did, Its a truly wonderful machine too bad it did not take off with singer I think it may have imtimidated some sewers, but it sews like a dream and the little piano like bars on top create such sonderful stitches..I just love mine. I got it at a garage sale for 25.00 including very nice cabinet and storage stool
    Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
    Miriam, good job, I thought Billy's tut were good, but, this is even more clearier. Thank you for sharing. Thanks for keeping is simple and plain to understand. Good luck with it.
    Thank you for your kind words. This machine has an internal belt so it would not be a good idea to submerge - I'm doing everything I can to keep that belt from getting any thing on it. I will make another post when I get some more done on this machine. It will be difficult to get the zig zag parts to move freely - I cleaned a LOT of gunk off the externals - I'm kind of thinking heat may loosen the internals of the zig zag. I'm doing kind a no-no by not reading the manual. I should get busy on that. How ever, just getting it clean doesn't require much information. Getting it to move will be another story.
    Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by zelda2
    Hi, just thought I'd let you all know the little secret we use around here. We use GOOP hand cleaner to clean, oil and it leaves the machine very nice! To clean the heavy stuff, just slather on and let it sit for a bit. This also takes care of any rust. I use it on every machine and this is all I use.
    Goop is messy - I am working in a small area at a time. There are disks/cams in the top to protect and there is an internal belt. Some machines have plastic inside - be very careful using anything with a solvent - it doesn't take much to destroy one of those kind of fragile pieces. Most likely, they can not be replaced.
    Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
    Are you sure thats's a 206 x 13 needle, Miriam? Your photo is a bit blurry, but it may not be. Lots of people stuck regular needles in these. Check your bobbin case. If it's all nicked up, chances are that's not the correct needle. Or at least it's really dull probably needs replacing anyway. I order mine online.
    I just found the needles!!! I'm doing the happy dance!
    http://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-S...eedles_c46.htm
    Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 AM

What a great job you are doing getting her ready to use again. She looks like she will be a wonderful addition to your sewing room. Love the cabinet, too.
    Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 AM

What a job you have taken on... why are/were you attracted to this machine? I see lots wanting older machines and just wondering...
    judy